The old workhouse in Cavan built in 1841 is getting very run down. It’s owned by the HSE and some of it is used as offices and stores. It’s graveyard “The bullies acre” is supposed to contain the unmarked graves of over ten thousand people who died there during the famine (1847-1849). It’s a pity there isn’t a better memorial there. It was used as a geriatric hospital in more recent years. The workhouse in Bawnboy is also in bad nick but was never changed much and is reckoned to be one of the most original surviving Victorian workhouses

Leave a Reply